SFP 9 – Episode 9: Persistent in being curios: Interview with Dr. Stephen Langer, clinical psychologist and president of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association (SFBTA)
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #9
Hosted by: Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 9 - Episode 9: Persistent in being curios: Interview with Dr. Stephen Langer about Solution Focused Brief Therapy
“The really cool thing about this approach, the Solution Focused approach, is that it really doesn’t matter what the problem is, (…) what really matters is what they want and what they want that’s different from what they have now as well as what they want to take into the future with them that they have already got going for themselves.”Dr. Stephen Langer
In today’s episode, we talk with Dr. Stephen Langer, a clinical psychologist and president of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association (SFBTA), about
- what fascinates Steve about Solution Focus.
- what is still the fascination to stick to this approach since 1984.
- what he does that people come alive, start being hopeful, are more positive, start looking forward to things, and figure out their next steps towards their desired future.
- how he is persistent in being curios to find out what his clients want to get out of the session and what they want different in their life that might somehow help them to move forward and have a better life.
- the importance of really small and simple things people can do to get started.
- how exception seeking and good and meaningful tasks can still be very valuable for clients.
- some of his favorite experiments and the differences they can make.
- the tasks of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association (SFBTA) and the Conference in November 2018.
- The weekly challenge: Do at least one thing every week for your partner or a loved one that this person is likely to remember a month later. And the challenge is that it does not cost money or is no more than 5 dollars.
- Dr. Stephen Langer is a clinical psychologist in private practice and Director of the Northwest Brief Therapy Training Center in Olympia, Washington, USA.
- He is also President of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association (SFBTA).
- In 2018 the SFBTA-Conference will take place in Boulder, Colorado from November 7-10th.
- Read more about Steve de Shazer & Insoo Kim Berg in the section About SF.
Thank you Stephen Langer and Cathy Anderson for a great time in Olympia, Washington, and that we made it to the Pacific Ocean together!
Join the conversation
Let’s make a difference for others, share your insights, and ask great questions! And be in contact with Stephen. Ask him questions and let us know what inspired you. Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you.