SFP 83 – Episode 83: A Passion for Empowerment: Giving Young People a Voice with Solution Focus with Tara Gretton
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #83
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Ken Brooks | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 83 - Episode 83: A Passion for Empowerment: Giving Young People a Voice with Solution Focus with Tara Gretton
„This is why I am doing this. It’s about empowering people, giving people a voice. (…) It’s not about us, it’s about them.“
„Rather than us doing to children or saying ‘This would be good for you.‘ or ’This is what we want for you.’, it’s like ‘What do you want?‘.
„What I love about the Solution Focused approach it’s about asking them what they want, but then the beauty of asking them how they cope and manage. You know, what they do well already. (…) And I see a real physical change in people. It’s like growing from the inside out. You can just see them get taller.“
„Naomi Whitehaead, my wonderful colleague, (…) was describing the miracle question and/or describing the preferred future as daring to dream. And I loved that.”Tara Greton
In today’s episode, we talk with Tara Gretton, Solution-Focused Practitioner, Solution-Focused Trainer, and Social Worker, about
- what fascinates her with Solution Focus,
- her best hopes from working with young people or giving young people a voice,
- how she introduces the solution-focused language in schools with her group work, e.g. doing solution-focused DJ and drama workshops,
- what they do in their SF DJ workshop or how her SF DJ workshops work,
- how she uses strengths cards to support young people to see what they have coped and managed before,
- the importance of giving space and really listening to young people,
- how she brought in young people into the workshop at the UKASFP conference,
- the differences the DJ workshops make and what the teachers notice,
- how offering an SF conversation early with young people could make a huge difference to mental health issues,
- her mission to see Solution Focus in every school in her local area,
- what fascinates her about training SF and how she focuses on the SF assumptions,
- how drama and Solution Focus inspire each other,
- a balance of power and the privilege to invite children to see them in all their glory.
- The Challenge of the week: „Think about something in your life that has worked well, that has helped you. While doing that close your eyes, consciously breath and just think about that thing, whatever it is, that helped you in that moment.”
- Check out Tara’s Solution Revolution and get in touch with her on LinkedIn and/or Facebook
- Get to know the Solution Focused Trainers Ltd.
- Learn more about the Strengths Cards – At my best® that Tara uses
- Get to know Adam Rackabeat/Adam Volsen
- Check out the UKASFP – the UK Association for Solution Focused Practice – and its annual conference
- Get in touch with Naomi Whitehead, Tara’s colleague at the Solution Focused Trainers Ltd.
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Tara and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!