SFP 79 – Episode 79: Flow: Where Solution Focus meets Improv with Paul Z Jackson
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #79
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Ken Brooks | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 79 - Episode 79: Flow: Where Solution Focus meets Improv with Paul Z Jackson
“They both [Solution Focus and improvisation] seem to me to answer the questions that the world is now asking.“
“I’ve added the point between where we want to be and where we are now and called that improvisation space (…) and it’s very much an interactional space in that what we do then connects and interacts with what other people are doing and the environment as that changes around us. And we are co-creating emergently in the moment all the time.”
“One of the ideas of improvisation is that there is always freedom within structure. so, we have a structure, but we are conscious too of the freedom within it and that allows us that degree of flexibility.”
“So, if we are bringing to light the ability of our clients to improvise, by which I mean adjust in the moment as things are happening, that fits exactly with what we are encouraging them to do within a Solution Focused conversation.”
In today’s episode, we talk with Paul Z Jackson, Solution-Focused practitioner, author, improviser, co-founder of the Bristol group, SOLWorld and the Applied Improvisation Network (AIN), about
- what fascinates him about Solution Focus,
- how he got into Solution Focus and how Solution Focus is very well aligned with improvisation,
- what fascinates him with bringing together Solution Focus and improv,
- the improvisation space in Solution Focus,
- how knowing improv in SF and knowing SF in improv could be beneficial,
- how they train SF practitioners with improvisation and invite their participants to improvise,
- the „Yes, and…“-mentality in SF and improv,
- the signs of Solution Focus,
- how we learn from what works and the misconception that we mostly learn from our mistakes,
- the differences between an interactional – co-created emergent – and an individualistic world,
- how we support our SF conversation partners to improvise in their life,
- how Paul integrated Solution Focus in his life,
- his applied improvisation course at a University in Austria,
- how SF could be used for a better world and society.
- The challenge of the week: „Notice how you are responding in the moment to something that is important to you, something you care about, something that you are working on and allow yourself to see possibilities. Allow yourself that moment to see what other ways there might be of doing it. And try it out and see what works.”
- Learn more about Paul and his work at The Solutions Focus and Paul Jackson Associates.
Among other books Paul also co-autored books with
Mark McKergow The Solution Focus: Making Coaching and Change SIMPLE and
- Improv Wisdom: Don’t Prepare, Just Show Up by Patricia Ryan Madson can be found here >>>.
- Here you can find out more about SOLWorld.
- Here you’ll find the details about this years SFBTA Conference in Montréal from November 6-9, 2019.
- And check out the Applied Improvisation Network (AIN) that Paul co-founded.
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Paul and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!