SFP 53 – Episode 53: Solution-Focused Therapy with Children and Adolescents: Creative and Play-Based Approaches with Assoc. Prof. Becky Tayler, Ph.D.
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #53
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Ken Brooks | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 53 - Episode 53: Solution-Focused Therapy with Children and Adolescents: Creative and Play-Based Approaches with Becky Taylor
„When we act out what we want to happen, we are actually rehearsing it. (…) Another way of doing it, too, is having them act out what their day would look like. (…) So instead of just telling you, they role play it.”
„Now progress scales, you know, to me those are the best ways to keep up with kids. I mean, they can design their own progress.“
„Or you can have them design their own superhero. And so, if you designed your superhero, what powers does it have and how is that going to help you get to where you want to go.”Assoc. Prof. Becky Taylor
In today’s episode, we talk with Becky Taylor, Assoc. Professor at the TCU Counseling Program, about
- what fascinates her with Solution Focus
- how she started to focus on resources instead of deficits
- her fascination for resilience and how she got in touch with Solution Focus
- tips and tricks on how to use miniatures and sandtrays in a Solution Focused way with Children and Adolescents and what differences she has noticed
- her book “Solution-Focused Therapy with Children and Adolescents: Creative and Play Based Approaches“ that is coming out in April 2019
- embodied learning or how she uses the miracle question, rehearsing the preferred future, and scaling with miniatures with children and adolescents
- how she involves the parents, teachers, or friends of the child and how she gets them playing
- who should read her book, e.g. people who work with children, parents, teachers, school counselors, etc.
- looking for what’s right about people, the good things people do, and helping people realize that
- The Challenge of the week: When you see children and their parents, do something that lets the parents know that you appreciate something that they do with their children or let the children know that you appreciate them.
- Find out more about the Master of Education in Counseling Program and about the Ph.D. Program in Counseling and Counselor Education at Texas Christian University.
- Check out Becky’s profile and her publications
- Read Becky’s book “Solution-Focused Therapy with Children and Adolescents: Creative and Play-Based Approaches” and her article in the International Journal of Play Therapy “Sandtray and solution-focused therapy“
- Interested in more SIMPLY FOCUS podcast episodes about Solution Focus with children? Check out episode 8 – “Let’s play…: Interview with Pamela K. King”
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Becky and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.