SFP 41 – Episode 41: Solution Focus is an Evidence-Based Intervention: The Impact of Research for Solution Focus with Johnny S. Kim, Ph.D., LICSW
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #41
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Ken Brooks | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 41 - Episode 41: Solution Focus is an Evidence-Based Intervention: The Impact of Research for Solution Focus with Johnny S. Kim
“We have enough research that shows it [Solution Focused Brief Therapy] works and it’s been reviewed independently on these national registries […] that now we can confidently say, that this is evidence-based.”
“I always talk about this in terms of learning like a new instrument or a new activity or a new language. It [Solution Focus] is something that requires a lot of practice, concentration and focus. And it takes time to get good at it.”
“And so that aspect of SFBT of trying to recognize the good that they are trying to do and how they are trying to be at their best, I think, is something that I try to bring into my parenting.”
“This approach can instill hope in clients better than, I think, any other therapy model out there.”Johnny S. Kim, Ph.D., LICSW
In today’s episode, we talk with Johnny S. Kim, Ph.D., LICWS, Associate Professor at the University of Denver, and Chair of the SFBTA Research Committee about
- what fascinates him with Solution Focus
- Evidence-based practice, why it is important for SF to be in the national registries of Evidence-based practices and how they managed to do that
- Solution Focus as Evidence-based intervention and the difference it makes for practitioners that SF is seen as Evidence-based intervention
- what he learned from working with these national registries about doing «good» research
- the importance of training for good research and research for good training
- implementation science and first outcomes for Solution Focused trainings
- Solution Focus as a multicultural approach and how his cultural experiences were important for that
- The different use of the “miracle” question in Taiwan, Hongkong, Japan, China or South Africa compared to Korea,
- The differences Solution Focus makes for him and his wife in their parenting and family life
- how SF can instill hope better than any other therapy model and the fit of SF and the Hope(-theory) by Snyder
- The Challenge of the week: Surprise someone with a kind word, kind action or deed or a kind note to spread positivity
- Get in contact with Johnny Kim, check out his research, and get to know his books
- Check out the research section of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association (SFBTA): Here you can download the SFBT Treatment Manual, get to know the Research Committee, find out more about the National Registries for Evidence-Based Practices, or apply for a research award.
- Get to know the SFBT Evaluation List on the website of the European Brief Therapy Association (EBTA) and find out more about the research grants of the EBTA.
- Apply for a research grant of the Austrian Solution Circle.
- Get to know Sara Smock Jordan’s work
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Johnny and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.