SFP 38 – Episode 38: Exceptional Sessions: Animal-Assisted Solution Focused Brief Therapy & More with Teri Pichot, LCSW, MAC, LAC
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #38
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Ken Brooks | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 38 - Episode 38: Exceptional Sessions: Animal-Assisted Solution Focused Brief Therapy & More with Teri Pichot
“I adore Solution Focus. It’s my home, because it is where there are no assumptions. No one assumes about me and I don’t get to assume about you. And I have to be curios.”
“That you can’t be curios and think you know at the same time. As soon as we think we know there are no good questions.”
“So in a Solution Focused session (…) we have the first part which is all about ‘What do they want?’ (…) and then (…) the second process which is ‘What do they have?’ (…) the third part is about ‘What’s next?'”Teri Pichot, LCSW, MAC, LAC
In today’s episode, we talk with Teri Pichot, LCSW, MAC, LAC, Solution Focused Animal-Assisted Brief Therapist and Solution Focused Trainer at the Denver Center for Solution-Focused Brief Therapy about
- what fascinates her about Solution Focus
- what fascinated her when she learned about Solution Focus for the first time
- how her work changed as a result of getting to know Solution Focus
- how she works with her therapy dog and how her dog assists her in doing Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- how she started to bring her dog to work as a Solution Focused therapy assistant and how this influenced her work
- how having a dog around changes the environment and the interactions
- how she creates exceptions for her clients with her therapy dog and how she uses these exceptions in the session with asking Solution Focused questions
- what she does in her Solution Focused trainings to teach participants to use SF on purpose
- the first third of a SF session – „What do clients want?“ -, the second third – „What do they have?“ – and the third third – „What is next?“
- how SF needs to be a model of attraction rather than promotion for her
- the books Teri wrote
- the Challenge of the Week: 1.) If you have an animal: Notice how having an animal in the room or in your life makes you a better human 2.) If you don’t have an animal or want to do both: Think about the purpose of the Solution Focused question you ask.
- Learn more about the Denver Center for Solution-Focused Brief Therapy and Teri Pichot’s work on her website.
- Check out the Solution Focused Summer Intensive in Denver! 5 full days of Solution Focused training/practice from July 15-19, 2019.
- Teri also offers Solution Focused Training for Clinical Staff, for School Counselors, for Nurses, and for Other Professionals.
- Check out Teri’s books here: Animal-Assisted Brief Therapy: A Solution-Focused Approach (2nd ed.); Transformation of the Heart: Tales of the Profound Impact Therapy Dogs have on their Humans; Solution-Focused Brief Therapy: Its Effective Use in Agency Settings (together with Yvonne Dolan); Solution-Focused Substance Abuse Treatment (together with Sara A. Smock)
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Teri and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!