SFP 35 – Episode 35: Observing Solution Focus: A conversation with Dr. Gale Miller about his time at BFTC
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #35
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Ken Brooks | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 35 - Episode35: Observing Solution Focus: A conversation with Gale Miller about his time at BFTC
In today’s episode, we talk with Dr. Gale Miller, sociologist, emeritus research professor at Marquette University, and observer and listener at the Brief Family Therapy Center (BFTC) in Milwaukee, about
- what fascinates him about Solution Focus
- what intrigued him when he first came to the Brief Family Therapy Center (BFTC) in 1984
- the evolution from the ecosystemic approach to Solution Focus
- how he could observe Steve de Shazer and Insoo Kim Berg
- how and what he observed that was going on at BFTC
- how they learned through observing, discussing, trying out and observing again
- the systematic review and the importance of the research committee at BFTC or how they watched therapy tapes and discussed them
- emotions in the Solution Focused approach
- The challenge of the week: Be silent and listen at the next meeting and observe who says what and who response in what way and how the conversation goes on. What do you learn when you see this?
- Check out Gale Miller at Marquette University and some of his publications
- Read more about the man behind the mirror
- Check out the store of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association (SFBTA) with a lot of books, CD’s and DVD’s of and with Insoo Kim Berg and Steve de Shazer and
- the CD “Wittgenstein for Therapists” with a conversation in which Gale Miller and Steve de Shazer explore emotions in SF. This conversation was very important for our thinking.
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!