SFP 29 – Episode 29: Words arise out of Silence: A Poetic Conversation with Dvorah Simon, Ph.D, Psychologist and Poet
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #29
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 29 – Episode 29: Words arise out of Silence: A Poetic Conversation with Dvorah Simon
“One of the most distinctive ways of watching Steve work, Steve de Shazer, was the silences. And there was a lot of silence, but it was not ever empty.“
„Poetry and I would say good therapy also (…) is a way of using language that directly comes right out of the experience. When there is a sense of the body and of the feelings of the body, of the essence of the room, a sense of energy and a sense of the silence, and then of the word arising right out of that experience, that’s poetry.”
„When people are happy in what they are doing and they get to express what they’re most passionate about, then the quality of the work will always be better. (…) And it started with ‘You know, this is something I love‘.
In today’s episode, we talk with Dvorah Simon, PH.D., Psychologist and Poet, about
- what fascinates her with Solution Focus and how she got in contact with SF in the late 80’s
- how Solution Focus is a tradition that continues to evolve and is to a certain extend less necessary than it used to be
- how Solution Focus spoke to her from a spiritual point of view
- the evolution of SF and the importance of conversations about the essence of SF when the form is changing
- how SF and asking the questions may sound different in different contexts
- not putting the method above what might be useful for the client
- how you never loose when you ask
- how she works “one person at a time“ with veterans, homeless people (people without housing) and everyone else
- the Ericksonian influence and acceptance or loving your failures and the parts that don’t work
- how she tries to embody the SF principles as a supervisor and fosters what her employees are passionate about
- poetry, her poetry workshops, and her lovely book „Mercy“
- how she would like to see SF practitioners being themselves and being alive instead of following a protocol
- The challenge of the week: „Listen for a mistake that you make and love it.”
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!
Having a great time in Albuquerque with Dvorah and some of her team members!
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.