SFP 19 – Episode 19: At the Round Table with Alan Kay: Solution Focused Applications, Interview with Alan Kay, Solution Focused Change Facilitator
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #19
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 19 - Episode 19: At the round table with Alan Kay: Solution Focused applications
„What’s so valuable for me about Solution Focus (…) is to go and ask question that help the client to see that they do know what to do, it’s just not clear to them.“
„What can be done differently, more of or better? And I say more of because sometimes there are things we are doing that are working, but we don’t pay enough attention to them.“
„The difficult, angry situations that you go in to, it’s not easy because people will not want you around initially and it can be a bit stressful, but you win them over so quickly, because of Solution Focus“Alan Kay
In today’s episode, we talk with Alan Kay, a Solution Focused Change Facilitator, about
- what fascinates him about Solution Focus
- how he uses Solution Focus to support people in many different areas, like advertising and marketing or strategic planning
- his favorite area to use Solution Focus at the moment
- how Solution Focus helps him in difficult situations
- how he facilitates round table conversations
- change that begins as soon as you start asking Solution Focused questions
- his book “Fry The Monkeys. Create A Solution. The Solutions Facilitator’s Handbook” and the SFIO (Solution Focus in Organisations)
- The challenge of the week – Create your own Solution Focused application: „Start thinking of all the things you know and the things that you have been told by people (…) and turn these concepts into a page, two pages that you can share with people. I call them applications of Solution Focus.”
- Check out Marja Perren’s children book “Dasha Saves the Day” and the Dasha Flash Foundation.
- Alan Kays’ Website to learn more about his work, his book “Fry The Monkeys. Create A Solution. The Solutions Facilitator’s Handbook” and the many Solution Focused applications Alan mentioned (e.g. The Better Interview Process, including Gale Miller’s SF interview application, Better Interviews – Detective Columbo Interviews & How To Avoid Them, 7 Questions to Make the Best First Impression or Interviewing Skills using Solution Focus)
- If you work with the Solution Focused approach and/or would like to see more of it in organisations, you can contribute to Solution Focus in Organisations (SFiO) and further the work of this great network: http://sfio.org/…/be-involved-with-asf…/contribute-to-asfio/
- Here you will find further information regarding the SFiO Webinars and other Solution Focused Global Events.
- And check out the SFIO LinkedIn group with many interesting conversations about SF in Organisations.
- Join us at the BBQ around the RV on July 29 in Toronto!
Join the conversation
Share your Solution Focused applications! Let’s make a difference for others! Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as many details as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And thank you for sharing this podcast. Already people from 37 countries listen to the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast. Can we cover the whole world together? Thank you for being on this journey with us!