SFP 11 – Episode 11: Language of Hope: Interview with Haesun Moon, Co-Director of the Canadian Centre for Brief Coaching
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #11
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 11 - Episode 11: Language of Hope: Interview with Haesun Moon
“Teach in a way that people are becoming observers of their own work.”
„She looked at us and she said, ‘you know I am leaving today, (…) I just wanted to let you know that because of the conversations you had with me, I am dying with hope.’ (…) And I hear so many stories from this palliative team that is just doing amazing work, working with people who are at the last stages, using Solution Focused coaching or Solution Focused dialogue. (…) And now that algorithm is being implemented in all the hospitals, so that’s being used as a reference or guide.”
„The algorithm is kind of providing the direction of a conversation: So that your focus is finding out what they care about, what they want and what is important.“Haesun Moon
In today’s episode, we talk with Haesun Moon, Co-Director of the Canadian Centre for Brief Coaching, about
- what fascinates Haesun about Solution Focus
- what fascinates her about microanalysis of face-to-face dialogue (To learn more about microanalysis check out episode number 10)
- what differences microanalysis makes for her as a teacher and as a person
- how microanalysis enhances «real life» learning – from day one on of the Solution Focused Coaching training
- how dialogue cannot be divided and is the smallest unit to study
- the importance of microanalysis for everyone in dialogic practice
- the heart touching story of how «Language of Hope» came about
- how this changed Haesun’s life
- how she wants to see that dialogues change at home, at school and at work place
- Haesun’s thesis and the way she studies «hope» in dialogue
- how there is always another way of looking at things and how your choice of looking at dialogue is worthwile to observe
- The Challenge of the week – Complaining exercise: You are pairing up, one person is complaining, the other person is listening for 5 solid minutes, then the listener gives the complaining person a feedback on what the person is caring about. Listen with the filter: what does that person really care about?
- the BRIEFFEST
- Check out the website of the Canadian Centre for Brief Coaching to learn more about Haesun Moon’s and her team’s brilliant work!
- AND DO CHECK OUT THE BRIEFFEST!!! Brieffest: Summer Intensive Coaching Training from 21-29 June 2018 and Brieffest: Train-the-Trainer from Track from 26-31 July 2018. We’re very much looking forward to be in Toronto for this great learning journey!
ELAN is a professional tool for the creation of complex annotations on video and audio resources.
- Here you’ll find information on the current findings of microanalysis regarding Communication in Health Care and Sara Healings’ work on recognizing patient-centered information.
- Doing mutual understanding. Calibrating in micro sequences in face-to-face dialogue. Janet Bavelas, Jennifer Gerwing & Sara Healing, Journal of Pragmatics 121 (2017) 91-112.
Joyful greetings from Tofino, BC!
Join the conversation
Let’s make a difference for others, share your insights, and ask great questions! And be in contact with Haesun. Ask questions and let Haesun and us know what inspired you. Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you.