SFP 75 – Episode 75: Building a Platform: Inviting to a Paradigm Shift with Jenny Clarke
Simply Focus Podcast – Episode #75
Hosted by: Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Intro: Bibiana Czerny & Ken Brooks | Music: www.bensound.com
SFP 75 - Episode 75: Building a Platform: Inviting to a Paradigm Shift with Jenny Clarke
“It’s this realization that ‘If it doesn’t work, do something different‘. And I am a great believer that Solution Focus is something to do when you are stuck. (…) If you are not stuck, just go on with your life.“
“I mean what a difference it would have made if, when I was a manager, I had known a little bit about Solution Focus.”
“And then I realized gladly if that bit (platform building) is not done well you can waste an awful lot of time.”
“And that’s why I call it a paradigm shift because it shocks people. And it’s not what they have been taught and brought up to believe.”Jenny Clarke
In today’s episode, we talk with Jenny Clarke, Solution-Focused Practitioner, Coach, Facilitator and Trainer, Co-founder of SOLWorld with the Bristol Solutions Group and Organiser of 3 SOLWorld conferences, about
- what fascinates her about Solution Focus and what differences Solution Focus made and makes for her,
- how it came that they travelled the whole world learning and teaching Solution Focus,
- how SOLWorld and the first SOLWorld conference in Bristol emerged,
- their preferred future for SOLWorld and what they did to make this SF network special,
- platform building, how the train metaphor arose and how we know that we have a „ticket“ from our client to move on in the conversation,
- what SF is and what SF is not or how do we make ourselves understood to the outside world,
- the paradigm shift Solution Focus still is and the importance of seeing that SF works,
- how they build platforms with organisations and teams,
- the power of silence or the ability to not interrupting our conversation partner’s thinking.
- The challenge of the week: When you find yourself saying ‘I don’t want this’ just remember to ask yourself ‘what would I like instead?’.
- Find out more about Jenny and her work at the sfwork website.
- Check out Jenny’s books: 57 SF Activities for facilitators and consultants co-editited with Peter Röhrig, Solutions Focus Working and Positive Approaches to Change both co-written with Mark McKergow.
- Read more about the aspects of the paradigm shift, Jenny talks about in her article “Another Copernican Revolution” that she wrote for the EBTA conference 2012 in Torun.
- Check out Jenny’s article “Solution Focus in a Small Business” in Natalia Polgar’s and Kati Hankovszky’s book “Brief and Simple – Solution Focus in Organizations“.
- Find out more about the SOLWorld – Sharing and building Solution Focused practice in organisations and stay tuned for next year’s conference in Vienna.
- SOLtalk – SF or not – what’s the difference?, by Jenny Clarke, at the SOLWorld Conference 2014 in Stockholm.
- SOLTalk 2019 – Audio BEING ASSERTIVE, by Jennie Clark, at the SOLWorld Conference 2019 in Budapest.
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Jenny and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!